From curriculum and creativity to pedagogy and policy, the Covid-19 pandemic is upending education globally. The Learnit Podcast explores how the mass, overnight migration to online learning will shape the future of teaching and learning.
Hosted by Jenny Anderson, this first series puts six education innovators and global leaders in the spotlight to showcase who is closing equity gaps, addressing learning loss, creating safety and belonging, and instilling in every learner the drive and skills to learn and thrive.
Listen now to discover how global changemakers are re-imagining what students need to know, how they will learn it and the technology they will use to get there.
Wisdom and Olivia founded Empower High School to develop young leaders who can transformatively resist systems of oppression and build new systems of liberation. With a school led by students, guided by educators and co-created with the community, things can get messy, but they’re committed to being comfortable with continual change and to resisting the impulse to revert to a broken system.
- Twitter - @EmpowerHS, @BrotherAmouzou
- More about Empower High School - https://empowerhighschool.org/
- Education as a means of liberation - https://globallearninglab.teachforall.org/video-page/465/wisdom-amouzou-education-is-a-means-for-liberation
- Explanation of transformative resistance - https://empowerhighschool.org/blog/2019/10/28/what-do-we-mean-by-transformative-resistance
- Teaching Community, Bell Hooks - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/833590.Teaching_Community
- Pedagogy of the oppressed by Paulo Freire - https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/72657.Pedagogy_of_the_Oppressed
- Another Country, James Baldwin - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38474.Another_Country
- This is How you Lose Her, Junot Diaz - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13503109-this-is-how-you-lose-her
- Queen’s Gambit - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10048342/
- The Mandalorian - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8111088/
With a map of global learning innovations and a Learning Hub in Barcelona, Chris aims to give educators a vision of what the future of education might look like, as well as a plug and play toolkit to allow educators to pick and choose the ideas, practices and mindsets they want to put into their own schools and communities.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/christopherpomm?lang=en
- More about LearnLife: https://learnlife.com/
- More about RE:Learn, LearnLife’s festival of learning: https://relearnfestival.com/
- More about Learning Hub in Barcelona: https://learnlife.com/barcelona
- More about the new learning paradigm: https://learnlife.com/alliance/learning-paradigm
- LearnLife’s research on global innovation: https://learnlife.com/alliance/learning-from-the-best
With 4.2 million paid subscribers, BYJU’S is one of the largest global edtech companies and has seen students’ time on their platforms increase from 71 to 110 minutes during Covid-19. Having raised $2 billion, company founder Byju’s ambition is to harness students’ innate curiosity and enable students to learn, unlearn and relearn in order to thrive in an ever-changing world.
- Find out more about BYJU'S - https://byjus.com/
- More details about Byju's acquisitions and expansion plans - https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/15/indian-decacorn-byjus-ceo-talks-about-future-acquisitions-coronavirus-and-international-expansion/
- Find out more about BYJU'S partnership with Disney India - https://byjus.com/disney-byjus-early-learn/
At a time when technology is essential to remote learning, Jim believes there has never been a more important time to hold tech companies accountable. As founder of Common Sense Media & author of "Which Side of History?”, Jim campaigns to ensure tech is used for good, to protect our kids, families & the future of democracy.
- Details of Jim’s new book ‘Which Side of History?’ https://www.commonsensemedia.org/about-us/news/press-releases/common-sense-launches-which-side-of-history-campaign-to-challenge
- Find out more about Common Sense Education: https://www.commonsense.org/education/
- Find out more about Common Sense’s initiative, ‘Wide Open School’: https://wideopenschool.org/#grades-3-5/
- Find out more about Common Sense’s Digital Citizenship course: https://www.commonsense.org/education/digital-citizenship
- Find out more about Common Sense’s Edtech ratings and reviews: https://www.commonsense.org/education/search?contentType=reviews
- Author Nicholas Lemann, ‘The Big Test, The Secret History of the American Meritocracy’: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9780374527518
- Author Paul Tough, ‘The Years That Matter Most’: https://www.paultough.com/books/years-that-matter-most/
- Author Paul Tough, ‘Helping Children Succeed’: http://www.paultough.com/helping/
- Author Pat Conroy, ‘The Prince of Tides’: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16735.The_Prince_of_Tides
- Sacha Baron Cohen’s 'The Spy': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UijUOy0MmE
- Sacha Baron Cohen’s 'Borat Subsequent Moviefilm': https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20201021-borat-2-review-fascinating-and-urgently-satirical
- TV show 'The Bureau': https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4063800/
With the risk of inequities growing, Miyashiro is committed to ensuring all families, not just wealthy ones, have choices. Looking to the world of business for solutions, Cajon Valley Union School District remains committed to innovation & is trialling new approaches to keep kids in classrooms.
- Twitter: @davidmiyashiro
- Details about Cajon Valley Union School District: https://www.cajonvalley.net/
- How One District Got Its Students Back Into Classrooms, New York Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/20/us/school-covid-reopening.html?smid=tw-share
- Cajon Valley’s regular flash mob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGhwNrNVh1A
- Cajon Valley’s Work of Work curriculum: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanderark/2018/10/17/the-world-of-work-in-elementary-school/#3c65924dd128
Until now, tutoring has been out of reach for most children - too expensive, hard to access and largely an opportunity for the privileged few. With an online offer, working with both schools and parents, and government investment to deliver tutoring to those who need it most, MyTutor is growing. Fast.
- Twitter: @Bertie_Hubbard @MyTutor
- Benjamin Bloom, The 2 Sigma Problem: The Search for Methods of Group Instruction as Effective as One to One Tutoring http://web.mit.edu/5.95/readings/bloom-two-sigma.pdf
- Teacher Tapp survey - How much learning are pupils doing remotely? https://teachertapp.co.uk/who-could-return-to-school-if-it-were-possible/
- National tuition programme, £350 million investment in tutoring to most disadvantaged students: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/projects-and-evaluation/projects/online-tuition-pilot/
- MyTutor raises €4.4 million to expand: https://www.eu-startups.com/2020/06/uk-edtech-mytutor-raises-e4-4-million-to-expand-its-online-tutoring-platform-post-covid/
- The Name of The Wind - Patrick Rothfuss: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/186074.The_Name_of_the_Wind
- Barbara Oakley, Learning How to Learn: https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
Veteran educator and activist Kaya Henderson has launched Reconstruction, an organisation providing unapologetically Black education to help kids understand their rich history and empower them to see themselves positively in school and in life. Will building safe and culturally connected communities catalyze young adults to lead the change that is so desperately needed?
- About Reconstruction: https://reconstruction.us/
- Fred Rogers 'Look for the Helpers' quote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LGHtc_D328
- Artist Leroy Campbell - https://www.leroycampbelloriginals.com/
- Author Derrick Bell, Faces at the Bottom of the Well: The Permanence of Racism: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/466460.Faces_at_the_Bottom_of_the_Well
- Author Jonathan Kozol, Savage Inequalities, Children in America's Schools: https://www.jonathankozol.com/savage-inequalities
- Author Amanda Ripley, The Smartest Kids in the World & How They Got that Way: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13259960-the-smartest-kids-in-the-world
- TV show Lovecraft Country: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6905686/
Elite jobs are hard to get. Tech startup WhiteHat is working to democratise access to the best careers through offering an alternative to university; apprenticeships. Despite a national reduction in apprenticeship applications in 2020, WhiteHat’s UK applications are increasing, and fast. As VP Learning & Delivery, Lisa Barrett shares some of the WhiteHat ‘secret sauce’; building community, recruiting for super powers and world class remote teaching. As we enter a global downturn, will students abandon the dream of a university degree and opt for a WhiteHat type apprenticeship?
- Twitter: @WhiteHatGB
- WhiteHat's audacious goals: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/university-shouldnt-gatekeeper-great-careers-isabelle-roughol/
- Ken Robinson 'Do Schools Kill Creativity?': https://www.ted.com/talks/sir_ken_robinson_do_schools_kill_creativity?language=en
- Rodham, Curtis Sittenfeld: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50253429-rodham
As a feminist activist, Chernor Bah’s work as CEO and Co-Founder of Purposeful focuses on giving girls the curriculum, the social capital and the space, to find, develop and use their voices. We explore how learnings from the Ebola epidemic have shaped Sierra Leone’s response to COVID-19 and how a transformative approach has resulted in 21% of the country’s GDP being consistently spent on education.
Show notes -
- Twitter: @Cee_Bah
- More about Chernor's work: www.wearepurposeful.org/
- Remote learning through radio broadcasting: www.unicef.org/wca/stories/covid-19-sierra-leone-education
- Karo Kura, creative drama series: https://avstudios.com/project/corona-lan-de-trut
- John Kenndey Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces: www.goodreads.com/book/show/310612.AConfederacyof_Dunces
- Ta-Nehisi Coates, Between the World and Me: www.goodreads.com/book/show/25489625-between-the-world-and-me
As head of Surrey Square Primary School at 29, Liz was the youngest headteacher in England. She has continually championed values as a route to achieving positive impact, for the children but also the communities the school serves. At Big Education, this work has continued, helping headteachers deliver a more holistic education, focused around the principals of Head, Heart and Hand. In this episode we discuss her work, values and how COVID-19 has driven the movement to achieve a more balanced approach to education.
- Twitter: @LizzieRobinson3 & @jandersonQZ
- Big Education: https://bigeducation.org/
- London Interdisciplinary School: https://qz.com/1781574/the-london-interdisciplinary-school-takes-a-new-real-world-approach/
- Carl R Rogers, On Becoming a Person: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/174879.On_Becoming_a_Person
- Madeline Miller, Circe: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959740-circe
Today we talk to Pia Pakarinen, Deputy Mayor for Education, City of Helsinki.Finland has long been viewed as an educational success story, and appears to be the outlier during COVID-19; teachers had the tools they needed, and the training and support to respond, parents felt equipped to help their kids, and children fared well as a result. We discuss these areas, alongside the extensive data collection underway and the resulting changes being put in place as a result.
- Twitter: @Pia_Pakarinen
- More about Pia's work: https://www.piapakarinen.net/
During the pandemic, demand for Khan Academy sky-rocketed, with usage of the site rising to 75 million minutes a day. With a huge sense of purpose and endless energy, Sal has led his team to build further ways to help students, parents and teachers during this time. Today we discuss the COVID-19 learning loss, 'in terms of progress around equity, I think we could lose decades', what works and doesn’t with online learning, the range of ‘back to school tools’ they’re developing, the role tutoring can play, and how he came to his decision to establish the company as a non-profit.
Show notes -
- Twitter: @salkhanacademy
- One World Schoolhouse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUHRaoD7d34
- Schoolhouse.World: https://coda.io/@schoolhouse/welcome
- The Diamond Age, Neil Stephenson: https://www.nealstephenson.com/the-diamond-age.html
- Isaac Asimov, Foundation: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29579.
- Foundation Avatar, The Last Airbender: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN_u5w69V9wUZYG8WeJWuNg
If you want to start a heated discussion in global education circles, mention the name Andreas Schleicher. As head of the OECD’s education unit, he is the face of PISA, a test administered to 15 year olds around the world every 3 years. Depending on who you ask, Schleicher, a German data scientist, is responsible for launching a global education arms race, or he is one of education’s most enlightened reformers, committed to changing what is measured in education so it better reflects the world in 2020. In this episode, we talk about how different countries are trying to battle the COVID-19 learning loss, the elevated role of wellbeing during the pandemic, where online learning has and hasn't worked, the role of motivation and self-regulation, parents as faculty, the future of assessment and how tutoring could help the most disadvantaged kids catch up, if designed and funded well.
- Twitter: @SchleicherOECD | @jandersonQZ | @Learnit_World
- More information on the OECD's work: http://www.oecd.org/education/
- OECD Report 'Schooling Disrupted, Schooling Rethought'
- Yuval Noah Harari, '21 Lessons for the 21st Century'
Thirteen years ago Michael Sorrell saved Paul Quinn College, a historically Black Methodist college in Dallas, Texas, from financial collapse, transforming it into America’s first urban work college. Today, he explains why he won’t welcome students back on campus this fall unless he can keep them safe, what America’s anti-racism protests mean for higher ed, and why the single best piece of advice he ever got was to “lead with love.” “At the end of the day we are fighting for something bigger than the perpetuation of ourselves as an institution. We are fighting for the salvation of our students. That’s a bigger cause.”
- Twitter: @michaelsorrell | @jandersonQZ | @Learnit_World
- Paul Quinn College website for more information on their work: https://pqc-edu.squarespace.com/
- More details regarding the reality of social mobility in US college system, available via corresponding Quartz article, written by Jenny Anderson: https://bit.ly/3e0jOhs
- Michael Sorrell, ranked 34 in Fortune's 50 Greatest Leaders: https://fortune.com/worlds-greatest-leaders/2018/michael-sorrell/
- Michael Sorrell's SXSW Edu 2018 talk: https://bit.ly/3fxj4B5